Last Updated on August 1, 2021 by Admin
Which VTP mode and version should be configured on a switch so that its VLAN database can be separately maintained while it forwards all VTP advertisements it receives?
- Server mode and version 1
- Client mode and version 1
- Server mode and version 2
- Client mode and version 2
- Transparent mode and version 2
- Transparent mode and version 1
A switch configured in VTP transparent mode allows the administrator to maintain the switch VLAN configuration information and not advertise its database to other switches in the network. A switch configured in VTP transparent mode using version 1 will only forward VTP advertisements it receives if the version used to send the update is also version 1. Using version 2 it will forward advertisements it receives without checking the version number.
There are two versions of VTP: version 1 and version 2. VTP version 1 is the default. The two versions are not interoperable. To support version 2, all of the switches in a network need to be configured to run in VTP version 2.
To enable, or revert back to, VTP version 1 at the configuration prompt, use the following command:
switch(config)# no vtp v2-mode
VTP version 2 offers some features that are not available in version 1.
- Token Ring support: Version 2 provides the ability to support Token Ring LAN parameters, such as ring numbers and hop counts, used in Token Ring LAN switching and VLANs.
- Unrecognized type, length, value (TLV) support: A version 2-enabled switch in server or client modes will propagate configuration changes to its other trunks, even for TLVs it is not able to parse.
- Version-independent transparent mode: In version 1, a transparent mode switch checks the domain name and the version of a received VTP advertisement before forwarding it. Using version 2, it ignores the version when forwarding the advertisement.
- Consistency checks: With version 2, the switch performs consistency checks of VLAN information, such as names and values, when new information is entered through the CLI or using SNMP. It does not do this when updating with information from a new advertisement.
Layer 2 Technologies
Configure and verify trunking