Last Updated on March 25, 2018 by Admin
22.214.171.124 Lab – Install the Motherboard
Lab – Install the Motherboard (Answer Version)
In this lab, you will install a CPU, a heat sink/fan assembly, and RAM module(s) on the motherboard. You will then install the motherboard in the computer case.
- Computer case with power supply installed
- Heat sink/fan assembly
- Thermal compound
- RAM module(s)
- Motherboard standoffs and screws
- Antistatic wrist strap and antistatic mat
- Tool kit
- Motherboard manual
Answer Note: If you do not wish to have your students install the components in this lab, due to the expense and fragility of these components, perform the steps with a classroom demonstration.
Step 1: Install the CPU.
- Place the motherboard, the CPU, the heat sink/fan assembly, and the RAM module on the antistatic mat.
- Answer Note: These are general instructions for an LGA1155 socket. Your motherboard may be different. Follow all instructions provided by your CPU and motherboard manufacturers.
- Put on your antistatic wrist strap and attach the grounding cable to the antistatic mat.
- Locate Pin 1 on the CPU. Locate Pin 1 on the socket.
- Note: The CPU may be damaged if it is installed incorrectly.
- Align Pin 1 on the CPU with Pin 1 on the socket.
- Place the CPU into the CPU socket.
- Close the CPU load plate and secure it in place by closing the load lever and moving it under the load lever retention tab.
- Apply a small amount of thermal compound to the CPU.
- Note: Thermal compound is only necessary when it is not included on the heat sink. Follow all instructions provided by the manufacturer for specific application details.
- Align the heat sink/fan assembly retainers with the holes in the motherboard around the CPU socket.
- Place the heat sink/fan assembly onto the CPU and the retainers through the holes in the motherboard.
- Tighten the heat sink/fan assembly retainers to secure it.
- Plug the fan connector into the motherboard. Refer to the motherboard manual to determine which set of fan header pins to use.
Step 2: Install the RAM.
- Locate the RAM slots on the motherboard.
- In what type of slot(s) will the RAM module(s) be installed?
- Answers may vary.
- How many notches are found on the bottom edge of the RAM module?
- Answers may vary.
- Align the notch(es) on the bottom edge of the RAM module to the notches in the slot.
- Press down until the side tabs secure the RAM module.
- Ensure that none of the RAM module contacts are visible. Reseat the RAM module if necessary.
- Check the latches to verify that the RAM module is secure.
- Install any additional RAM modules using the same procedure.
Step 3: Install the Motherboard.
- Install the motherboard standoffs.
- Install the I/O connector plate in the back of the computer case
- Align the connectors on the back of the motherboard with the openings in the back of the computer case.
- Place the motherboard into the case and align the holes for the screws with the stand-offs. You may need to adjust the motherboard to line up the holes for the screws.
- Attach the motherboard to the case using the appropriate screws.
This lab is complete. Please have the Answer verify your work.